As well as my standard project management tid-bits and experiences, I will be documenting my Non-Profit establishment journey on this blog.
Direct Ask: I am planning on starting a non-profit to assist those not considered within the “poverty” level, 100%-400% of income, that typically are required to get financial assistance for cancer treatment and bills. I am asking for you to assist with start-up funding in the amount of $1.00, and NOTHING MORE. Please submit via PayPal to email@example.com and include a note with your name and e-mail address so that when I have established the non-profit, I can reach out for a documented contribution. The other thing that you can do is to share this with your contacts to spread the word as far as possible. This is an important issue and there are many that need assistance.
Longer Version: I am a cancer survivor, as of 2/24/19, four months into my remission. I have double-hit lymphoma, with 90% being standard large cell lymphoma, and 10% being a slower acting cancer but with a higher risk for recurrence.
I had the misfortune of having my symptoms present themselves while on vacation in Florida, and the resulting bill for my 25 day stay in the hospital (out of network) was more than we paid for our house (full disclosure, we paid $138,000 in 2001).
We were fortunate to have a GoFundMe campaign that helped with our travel expenses and insurance premiums until I could find a job and go back into the workforce (I had started my own consulting endeavor at the wrong time). We are forever grateful to our friends and family to making that happen for us. We had lots of people that were sending healing thoughts and prayers, and that really meant a lot to us.
However, I must admit, that one of the hardest things I ever did in my life was asking others for help. That is just not part of my makeup, and it was extremely uncomfortable. That is why I am feeling energized about this new journey to form a non-profit to assist those in the middle, making too much to get 100% assistance, but making not enough to afford the health care outright. I have no problem approaching others, and organizations, for a cause that will help others. Just in the last several weeks I have found out about others that fall into this middle no-man’s-land of having a cancer health care situation that has significant impact to their financial well-being.
Those that know me know that I am a man of my word, and integrity is number one for my core values. So here is my commitment to you, not only during this start-up funding phase, but for when the non-profit is established: 90% of all contributions will go toward directly helping others! The remaining 10% will be used for administrative costs (5%) to set-up and maintain the non-profit, and for salaries (capped at 5%, full disclosure – first employee will be me). That means that for me to cover my current medical costs, the non-profit will need to raise approximately $3,000,000. And when that is covered, then any additional salary for me will go toward my anticipated future medical bills, as well as salary for those in other states that are willing to champion this endeavor.
Please submit $1.00 ONLY, via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a note with your name and e-mail address so that when I have established the non-profit, I can reach out for a documented contribution. The other thing that you can do is to share this with your contacts to spread the word as far as possible. This is an important issue and there are many that need assistance.